Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mother's Day Lunch... A Mother's Regret!

First off, Happy Mother's Day to all the hard working, loving Momma's out there!  Being blessed with three little tikes of my own, I definitely experience the non stop hours of hard work and selflessness that goes into parenting.

Don't let those sweet little faces fool ya… Next are the "Uh oh, I got in trouble Pictures!" 

  




Lol… Can you tell the one on the far right, Rhett, is our most "spirited"? He isn't even upset, He's PROUD! :) Let me tell ya, God has BIG BIG plans for that Kiddo!

Being a parent is HARD! It's by far the HARDEST job I've ever had… But worth it, right? ;)

So, this morning was just like every Sunday morning (besides the sweet card, with $ for Momma, the real dark chocolate bars waiting for me and the extra hugs and kisses from the family)… Aw!

Other than that, it was a normal Sunday. ;) I got up at 6:15, showered, got myself ready, made all the biddies breakfast, got them dressed, hair done, teeth brushed for church, then loaded them up to be on our way. Justin is always getting to church about the time the kiddos are waking up. He was blessed with the musical gift of guitar playing and plays for the worship team. Which I LOVE… But it IS EXHAUSTING getting all the babies and myself to church alone.  Phew… I definitely need a nap on Sunday afternoons!

When church was over Justin said we can go out to lunch for Mother's Day, MY PICK!!!! :) WHAT?! With my food restrictions, and three kids under 5, going out to eat is one thing we don't do often. I was excited to brave the after church crowd (exciting events for a stay at home momma) and after googling, decided we could try out Dickey's BBQ in town.


If we ever do BBQ, we have always gone to Whole Hog. When we eat there I can get a baked potato with pulled smoked chicken and not have any bad side effects from the food. (If you're unaware of what I'm referring to with side effects, please go back and read THIS).

We pulled up to Dickey's and got even more excited when I saw the "Kids Eat Free on Sundays" sign. It was meant to be! :) I had the beef brisket with two sides, dill potato salad, french fries (because they are in a separate frier from food items with gluten and it's not very often I can eat fries). Water to drink and I got a tiny bit of the sweet BBQ sauce for my meat and was ready to enjoy our lunch. The french fries ROCKED… It could be because I don't eat fries anymore, or it could have been the fact that I dipped them in the HIGH sugar ketchup on the table… I'm thinking it was because the ketchup. :) The meat was okay, and the Dill Potato Salad was actually pretty terrible. Rhett (our 14 month old) made an awful face and threw it out of his mouth, which I thought about doing too. Needless to say, I was still very much enjoying our time out together as a family.

Then… We got to the free "Ice Cream" machine. I had to google and make sure the "Ice Cream" didn't have any gluten in it, before I could eat it… If I consume anything with gluten, I get super sick to my stomach and live in the bathroom for a good couple of hours. This topic will be another future blog post, because I have a lot to say about Gluten, that's for sure.  ;)

When looking up information on the "Ice Cream" I found ingredient lists for Dickey's food products.


With all the babies I was only able to glance at the "Ice Cream" ingredients and even though it was Gluten Free, I immediately knew I didn't want to eat any.

A little disturbed with the ingredients like CORN SYRUP SOLIDS, MALTODEXTRIN, MILK DERIVATIVE, YELLOW ARTIFICIAL COLORS…

One would think a vanilla soft serve ice cream would strictly have ingredients like "milk, cream, sugar, and natural vanilla flavoring"… 

AND THIS IS WHY WE DON'T GO OUT TO EAT OFTEN!!! 

The family (minus myself) all enjoyed their frozen genetically modified corn syrup and artificial flavors and colors and then we got back in the van to come home. That's when it HIT me!!! I began hurting in my joints… Bad aching in my toes, my knees, my fingers, my wrists, my jaws, and all the way up to my neck. By the time we got in the garage I had a massive headache on top of the body pain. Ugh…

As soon as the kids got put down for nap, I immediately looked up the other ingredients in the foods we just ate.  Here is the LINK where I got the information.

I found ingredients in the Dill Potato Salad:

Not just some "potatoes, sour cream, and dill, huh?" 

Here was my final straw… What I just let my kid's put in their stomaches, the Macaroni and Cheese:

More Genetically Modified Soybean Oil, Corn Syrup, Yellow food dies… not REAL cream, instead they have a "cream replacer" made with more hydrogenated soybean oil, and MORE corn syrup. Can we not just have a melted cheese/real milk sauce? MY WORD! 

I kept reading through the BBQ sauces, Pinto Beans, and even the "GREEN BEANS"…. ALL are LOADED with Corn Syrups!!!

I became so mad at myself…Mad that I was hurting all over my body because of my food choices, mad that I put that food in front of my kids to eat, and MAD at the fact that it is SO difficult to go out to eat and just eat REAL food! Can I not order green beans and just get cooked green beans with some sea salt? Can I not just enjoy some ice cream with my family and not be worried about loading our bodies with corn syrups, and inflammation causing TOXINS!?  

I don't mean to pick on and totally BASH Dickey's… It's not JUST Dickey's, it's EVERY other food establishment around.  The ingredients of the food served in many restaurants are SO bad for us! People go out to eat TOTALLY UNAWARE of what they are actually eating… We think it's "Ice Cream"… When it's not actually ice cream, but a load of horrible ingredients made to "TASTE" like Ice Cream. 

With all that being said… I just want to make others aware. Aware of the fact that when I consume Preservatives, Corn Syrups, and Hydrogenated Oils my body reacts with PAIN and INFLAMMATION… For Hours!  I don't have "Fibromyalgia" and I NEVER DID… I NOW KNOW it is actually just what I'm eating and putting in my stomach.  

On this Mother's Day I have SO many things I'm grateful for.  For the purpose of this post, I'm grateful that God designed my body to tell me when something is wrong. My body gives me signals when it doesn't like something I'm fueling it with. Some of us are more sensitive than others and some of us are more in tune to the signals our bodies are giving us. 

If you don't have pain after eating this sort of "food", this post probably doesn't mean much to ya. ;)
However, I would really like to challenge you… 

Will YOU listen to your body's signals and start questioning the foods you're eating and why? Why do we eat food, what's the purpose? It's kind of a silly thing to ask, but when we REALLY THINK about it, are our actions consistent with our answer? 

The day I changed my mindset from "What sounds good to eat" to "What's the best thing I can put in my body" I started seeing a total transformation. 

Okkkay, Blue Puppy and Brock just woke up from nap, so Momma's blog time is over… If you have anything to add, or have questions, comment below! :) I'd love to hear from y'all! 








No comments:

Post a Comment